NOISE Orchestra are sound artists Vicky Clarke and David Birchall; we use light, DIY electronics, turntables and graphical scores to turn images and objects into NOISE; a process called graphical sound. Our practice operates at the intersection of art, experimental music and technology and manifests in performances, DIY instrument making, workshops and installations; all inspired by the photo-phonic principles of synthesizing sound from light.
Supported by Innovate UK, we have been developing a series of NOISE MACHINES that translate light into sound, these are synthesizer modules such as drone, delays and drum machines and exploring these as interdisciplinary performance instruments
NOISE Orchestra began as artists in residence at the National Media Museum, with our project ‘Play the Collections’ (part of Light Fantastic UNESCO Year of Light 2015) where we built Theremin circuits and graphical scores inspired by the archive collections of the nations’ photographic and cinematographic objects and images and performed these in a live light and sound show.
We are inspired by the radical spirit of the 1920s Russian avante garde artists including Arseny Avraamov the inventor of graphical sound and ultrachromatism and the noise machines of Evgeny Sholpo and Leon Theremin. In 2015 we undertook a research trip to Moscow to meet author of ‘Sound in Z’ Professor Andrey Smirnov, Director of the Theremin Centre and learn about these artists working at the dawn of synthesised/electronic music and imagining a future utopia after the Revolution.
(visit our Work and Projects page)
- ENLIGHT: European: Light Expression Network. Currently undertaking R&D developing portable synthesizers for sound walks to play cities through light in 2018. Work will feature at Rome Media Art Festival, SPECTRA, Aberdeen and Article Biennial, Norway.
- Music Makers Hacklab: CTM Festival, Berlin #Emotional Invention
- Noise Machines, Innovate UK R&D: Working with Electronic Musicians and light artists to explore modes of gestural performance with light and noise.
- Journey Through the Mirror Pool: National Science and Media Museum
- Q-02, Brussels. Artists in Residence
- STEIM, Amsterdam. Artists in Residence
We love noise.